Jensory – Sensory ideas and music sessions. Click here for further details.
Hello and welcome to Singing Hands! We are Suzanne and Tracy and we would like to introduce you to the amazing world of signing with Makaton. Our unique and enthusiastic approach is designed to help develop someone’s communication potential through music, songs, games & activities. We focus on learning language in a way that it is motivating, engaging and most of all, fun!
To find out more about ‘What We Do’ – please see the information about our classes, our resources, our educational concerts and our work in schools, nurseries, with young adults and our training workshops for professionals. Join us and learn how to sign the ‘Singing Hands’ way! Click here for further details.
We know that if one child doesn’t sleep, the whole family suffers. Our three-part guide helps you understand the issues around sleep that might be causing disturbed sleep in your family. Firstly it looks at common sleep problems in children with complex needs and how these are assessed. It also describes sleep problems in specific genetic syndromes. Finally it outlines strategies that can be used to improve sleep problems in all children.
We’re building a growing resource library here, which we hope will help support you and your child. It’s small at the moment, but will grow to include articles, videos and information sheets.
And if you have an idea for a topic that we haven’t covered, but should be – let us know using this form. We’d love to hear from you.
Please see helpful links below:
- National Autistic Society – guidance and helpline for parents’, young people and staff: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/nas-schools/vanguard/news/2020/march/coronavirus-(covid-19)-advice.aspx
- Mencap – Easy Read guide to Coronavirus: https://www.mencap.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-03/Information%20about%20Coronavirus%20ER%20SS2.pdf
- Place2Be – Guide to helping parents answer questions from their children and to support family wellbeing: https://www.place2be.org.uk/about-us/news-and-blogs/2020/march/coronavirus-information-for-children/
- Young Minds – Talking to your child about Coronavirus and 10 tips from their Parents Helpline to support family wellbeing: https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/talking-to-your-child-about-coronavirus/
- Carers UK – Guidance for carers: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/coronavirus-covid-19
- Covibook – an interactive resource designed to support and reassure children aged 7 and under, designed to help children explain and draw the emotions that they might be experiencing during the pandemic: https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
- Amaze – information pack for parents https://amazesussex.org.uk/faqs-about-the-coronavirus-for-parent-carers-of-children-with-send-brighton-hove/
- Public Health England have produced an easy read version of their Advice on the coronavirus for places of education. You can download it here.
Feelings support cards –
Strategies to support language development –